Surgical Associates of Richmond is celebrating 100 years of surgical heritage!
Surgical Associates dates its heritage to 1909 when the two former Chairmen of Surgery at the Medical College of Virginia, Dr. George Ben Johnston and Dr. A. Murat Willis, founded the original Johnston-Willis Hospital at the corner of Sixth and Franklin Streets. Fifteen years later in 1924, that hospital moved to 2900 Kensington Avenue where it continued to serve Richmond for over fifty-five years.
Dr. Frank S. Johns, who succeeded Dr. Willis as Chief of Surgery, was later joined in surgical practice by Dr. Donald S. Daniel and Dr. William Allen Johns. The successor surgical partnership in the 1960’s included Dr. Frank Johns’ son, Dr. Thomas N.P. Johns, Dr. James A. Selph, Dr. B. Noland Carter, Dr. E. Armistead Talman, Dr. Jaquelin M. Harrison and Dr. Henry P. Royster. In 1970 this group of surgeons incorporated under the name of Surgical Associates of Richmond, Inc. Dr. Campbell G. Stalker joined Surgical Associates of Richmond in 1975. Since the mid 1980’s the practice has expanded to include 15 surgeons who specialize in general and vascular as well as surgical oncology. This continued growth contributes up-to-date training to compliment Surgical Associates’ well-established tradition of experience.
In 1972, Chippenham Medical Center opened as the first general hospital south of the James River; and in 1980, Johnston-Willis hospital relocated from Kensington Avenue to its present Chesterfield County facility. Since the inception of these two hospitals, Surgical Associates has maintained patient offices on these hospital campuses to meet its commitment to provide general and vascular surgical coverage for patients in southside Richmond.
In 2003, Surgical Associates, under the division name of VeinSolutions of Richmond, opened its office at 8700 Stony Point Parkway near Stony Point Fashion Park specializing in the comprehensive care of cosmetic and therapeutic venous problems. Click here to learn more.
In 2005, a 40,000 square foot medical office building was built on the campus of Johnston-Willis hospital. This building houses the offices of Surgical Associates as well as the John Tyler Community College Nursing Program.
In 2010, Surgical Associates continues its commitment to the southside community of Richmond with the recent construction of its new 10,000 square foot office in the Waterford Medical Center, near the campus of St. Francis Medical Center. Waterford Medical Center is located at 13460 Tredegar Parkway, Midlothian, VA 23112.
In November 2014, Surgical Associates expanded its surgical scope by providing trauma surgery services to Chippenham Hospital trauma and Johnston Willis Hospital (Level III). After a mandatory year review, Chippenham Hospital successfully received Level II accreditation from the Commonwealth of Virginia, only one of four Level II trauma programs in the state.